Sunday, July 29, 2007

Dresses Galore...

So. The dresses (mentioned in a previous post) are done! done! done! :-D The results:














I've been wanting to make a kimono style dress for someone so I took this opportunity to do just that. (second photo)

Now keep in mind that I'm 5'1" she's 5 '11"; her bust is 4 inches smaller than mine; her waist is 2 1/2 inches smaller than mine; her hips are 6 1/2 inches smaller than mine. You can image how hard it was for me to get in and out of some of the garments to shoot these photos! I'm a bit smooshed in at the bust on some of the pics, but thankfully I was able to get in and out without tearing or stretching....with the use of a bit of acrobatics ;-). When I do custom work for people over a long distance who are smaller than I am, that's sorta my way to gauge things..."If this is too tight for me, then it'll work for ____." If the person is larger, I use a similar method, but I also have a curvaceous dress form that helps, too.

Also, since she's tall and some of the lengths of fabric didn't accommodate her height, i added contrasting pieces so the dresses would fall at or below her knees. Some she wanted shorter so they'd hit at mid thigh or a little longer.

I'll be uploading the pictures to my fotki soon so you can have a better look.

Overall I'm pleased with the outcomes. I just have to wait and get her feedback....

7 comments:

Krazy Kate Designs said...

The kimono dress is beautiful!

Unknown said...

thank you! :-) i've always loved them. why i never made one for myself...i don't know!

Anonymous said...

ur the best!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see these dresses, this is like x-mas, lol! Thanks again....Attallah

Breath of Light said...

I love ALL of these dresses!

Camille Nicole said...

Sis, you've got skills! How long have you been sewing?

Unknown said...

thanks y'all :-)

eclectiksoul-it's been five yrs now. quite a journey, too.