Wednesday, October 10, 2007

"The Wind is Pink. Grass is Black."

It's all a matter of perception, I suppose....


Well, today my interview was published in the paper. :-D

To read it go here: http://timesofacadiana.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071010/NEWS01/710100311/1002/NEWS01.

In the hard copy, there's another picture of me, the link to my etsy shop, as well as pics of Deborah's work. Really cool. I've been looking forward to having it published, so I'm pleased.

But since this is a blog, and I am free to express whatever feelings, ideas, issues I may have with whatever, that's just what I'm gonna do. Accuracy is a big deal for me, so I just wanna clear up some things where the article is concerned. I realize that every single word that's relayed during interviews most likely will not make it into print. Also, words that were spoken are many times paraphrased in the name of time and space restrictions. With that being said....

Contrary to what the article states, the great majority of my garments are made from scratch from vintage materials as well as fabric from stores such as Joann's...one of my favorite hang out spots :-). When I first read, "Neither peruses fabric stores, studying bolts of material," my first thought was related to all the great folk at Joann's who are so helpful and see me in there all.the.time. I love fabric stores and many times come up with designs based on a cool pieces of fabric found there. I do a lot less clothing reconstruction than I did when I first started out. Still, I really enjoy the process and admire revamped wears, it's just not my primary technique. Deborah, the other lady mentioned, makes a lot of really nice reconstructed garments. Judging from the article, it seems as though we both basically have the same approach to clothing design, which isn't the case.

As far as the thrift store rummaging, I mainly get t-shirts from there as well as garments that I revamp for myself. Some good fabric can occasionally be found there as well.

What else....? Oh. My guy says he doesn't like, "I'm just a country girl." I think it's hilarious. While I don't think those were my exact words, most likely something similar to that did come out of my mouth. As far as New York, I was there for 3 days this past summer...Queens and Brooklyn to be exact (and had a good time.) Didn't even see the fashion district. I never lived there, which is sorta what the article implies. For me, it's a place to visit and that's the extent of it.

And yes. I am radical when it comes to being self-sufficient and self-employed. As far as the support from the parents, that's referring to the fact that they support what I do. They never pressured me to be or do something that I have no interest in. Read in the context of the article, it seems like the support is financial. That would be nice. And while I'm sure they're there when I need them, I'm continuously on the grind trying to create my own financial path.

Oh yeah. My guy friend also doesn't like the whole, "I've sold to people all over the United States and Hawaii..." He says it makes it seem like I don't know that Hawaii is part of the US. Well, I think that's funny too, since I personally prefer to consider Hawaii as its own country. I tend to recreate geography/history on my own terms, ha ha! No, but I feel where he's coming from. But everything said in person doesn't translate well to print.

That pretty much clears up everything.
This is lengthy, but I just had to put it out there. So many times in the media we hear things that aren't exactly accurate, and the ones who are being quoted don't always get a chance to tell their side. So dangit!! In the name of all the misrepresented people out there, I submit this blog. :-D

peace

6 comments:

Rob Guillory said...

Good read. I thought you came off well (despite The Times' history of manufacturing info).

narcissaqtpie said...

Country girls are the coolest. You are an inspiration.

Anonymous said...

congrats on the article.

Valerie said...

congrats, sis! i'm so excited for you. great photo, too. i completely understand what you mean re inaccuracy - i did an interview for an np member's magazine. a three page interview was sliced to two lines, somehow she got that i was a painter, too...

http://www.relicmagazine.com/ArtAct.html

lol. but it's wonderful publicity nonetheless. the more people who know about your amazing work, the better.

p.s. oops! i deleted the previous post to fix formatting and it left that ugly 'comment deleted' thingie - anyway you can edit it out?

Unknown said...

thank you all for your kind comments. :-)

val, that's a trip! hmmm..maybe 'painter' was supposed to be 'crocheter'..?..?..lol!

yep. i'm really grateful for the publicity. i just don't like being misrepresented. it's not a huge deal, but i figured since i *do* have this blog, i'd use it to express my ideas on the whole thing.

i'm pleased that more local people know about what i do.

:-D

Eb the Celeb said...

Congrats on the feature!